Paul Pelosi attends Kennedy Center Honors in first public appearance since attack

Comment

Paul Pelosi, husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), made his first public appearance Sunday at the Kennedy Center Honors since the violent attack at the couple’s San Francisco home in October.

The 82-year-old business executive was greeted with a standing ovation as he accompanied his wife to the legendary event at the Kennedy Center Opera House.

An event honoring Americans who have made significant contributions to the arts saw Paul Pelosi sitting next to his wife on the balcony of the Performing Arts Center’s Opera House wearing a hat and applauding the honorees. He had a black glove on one hand.

Guests, stars and honorees walk the red carpet at the Kennedy Center Honors on December 4 in Washington, DC (Video: Allie Caren, Breanna Muir/The Washington Post, Photo: Sarah Silbiger/Reuters/The Washington Post)

In October, an intruder broke through a glass door into the couple’s home in the exclusive Pacific Heights neighborhood, looking for the speaker, who was out of town at the time of the incident, yelling “Where’s Nancy?”

Also Read :  Johnny Depp set to make history with Rihanna

Paul Pelosi is recovering as the attack renews and focuses on toxic politics

Pelosi suffered injuries from the hammer so severe that the business executive required surgery to repair a fractured skull. Pelosi also suffered “serious injuries to his right arm and hands,” according to the speaker’s office.

David Wayne DePape faces several state and federal charges in connection with the attack, including attempted murder, attempted kidnapping and assault with a deadly weapon. According to court documents, the 42-year-old told police he was on a “suicide mission” targeting a number of state and federal politicians to counter “lies” coming from Washington.

Also Read :  Taylor Swift Ticketmaster fiasco is fault of demand, bots, Liberty Media CEO says

Last month, the speaker said her decision not to run for the Democratic leadership during the next session of Congress was partly due to the attack. She said she felt guilty for being targeted by the intruder, but her husband withstood the attacks.

In a speech last month announcing her decision to step down, Pelosi thanked her husband, calling him “my pillar of support” and saying she was grateful for “all the prayers and well wishes as he continues to recover.”

The lawmaker told reporters last month that her husband was “doing well” but faced a long recovery. The emotional trauma of the incident left a deep mark on the entire family, Pelosi said.

“If he had fallen or slipped on the ice or had an accident and injured his head, it would have been terrible, but if it was an attack on him because they were looking for me, that’s really – they call it ‘survivor’s guilt’. or something,” she said in her most detailed comments since the incident. “But the traumatic effect on him, this happened in our house.

Also Read :  FUSER to end all sales, online services on December 19

“It turned our home into a crime scene,” Pelosi added.

While some lawmakers and celebrities expressed concern for the couple after the incident, Pelosis quickly became the target of conspiracy theories from political opponents and innuendo from those on the right in the days after the attack, which the speaker strongly criticized.

“If your spouse was in a situation where other people were making fun of it, thinking it was funny, collecting bail money for the offender and spreading a conspiracy theory about what it was – it’s so horrible to think that the Republican Party got to it and nobody in the party really rejected it,” she said. “It’s sad for our country.”

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Articles

Back to top button